Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Do I Have The Math Gene?

I have the math gene because according to my mother, since she is good at math, i should be good at math as well. She believes when a mother helps their children with their homework they are passing down their intelligence to them. For Example, when my mom helps me with math, she goes step by step with the problem even though she has a different method of teaching me math than how my teacher does, i still understand what she is saying and sooner or later i get it. My mom was born and rasied in Haiti and over there their math symbols are way different from American math symbols so at first it takes a while to understand them. My mother says(and i quote) "If I  Can Understand Something Then You Can Understand It As Well." So, yes i will have to say i do have the math gene. (whether i like it or not) =)

3 comments:

  1. Thats so cool how you have the math gene.I guess it could be possible to be taught and inherit the gene.I never knew you had the gene though! I also didn't know that math symbols are different at Haiti. Thanks for the information :)and nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how Elysha put alot of details into this blog.For example, I like how she quoted her mother. I like how Elysha points that her mom believes when a mother helps their children with their homework they are passing down their intelligence. I like because I think I have heard my mom say that once . I think she had if i apply myself then I will get math better just like her. So yea I agree with Elysha blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mom is absolutely correct that if she can understand something then you can understand it as well. However, it's not due to any math gene because they don't exist!

    Dr. Keith J. Devlin is the author of “The Math Gene: How Mathematical Thinking Evolved and Why Numbers Are Like Gossip” and in his book, he contends this theory is not true after conducting modern research to prove that we all have the ability to do math! Click the below link to read a review of the book. Maybe you might want to purchase the book to add to your library?

    http://www.evoyage.com/Book%20Reviews/MathGene.htm

    ReplyDelete