Wednesday, October 27, 2010

History of Mathematics

It was interesting to find out that over 30,000 years  ago cave men kept track of the passing seasons and the changing weather for planting by carving tally marks on caves walls or stones. Also symbols such as stones and rocks became created to represent the large numbers. I also found out that written records from 330 B.C show that Babyloians wrote amounts using clay tables. The Anicent Egyptians used objectives to represent their numbers, for example, a coil rope was symbolize as 100. In Nigeria, people used shells as currency to keep a complex number system. Knots tied in cords and strings were used for counting amounts by many cultures such as the Persians.

4 comments:

  1. When I saw all the ways that humans used to keept track of math or use math it surprised me because i didnt know there were so many ways to document math. Who wouldve known that we would have gone from writing on stone walls to using calculators. The world has become so advance in math and i wonder if it will become even more advance in the future. I wonder how some cultures in other countries do math. I would love to learn how some people used symbols or clay or everyday materials to do math.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the cartoon started i am like oh my gosh a whack clip in till I learned something from it. I was also interested to find out that over 30,000 years ago cave men kept track of the passing seasons. I was also surprised when I saw most ways that humans used to kept track of math or document math in so many ways. the world has evolved drastically from math in different cultures. Now they have tools to make math easier i.e., calculator, abacus, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss L.A.H.S. , I did find alot of things interesting in the video. For instists, the part with the cavemen just wrote what it seemed to be a stick figure and then made symbols so that they would't be confused with how many sticks are on the wall. The part that I didn't really understand was the part with Nigeria nd they had that rope or something like that. One thing I would say abot this would be if these people from diferent countries didn't make these things we could go nuts. Lol. Th whole vido itself was interersting from cavemen drawings to algorithms. It just amazing to know ho math was created.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also was surprised from what I saw. I was SO confused when the part with the seashells came up. I still don't understand it. I find it hard to believe that Egyptians memorized all of those symbols. I was also shocked about the cavemen. :D

    ReplyDelete